Saturday, September 15, 2007

Bad accident, or blatant cruelty?


I came home from work yesterday, walking happily down my street thinking "Yay! It's Friday, I don't have to go to work for two whole days!" Then, as I came up to my house, I see this poor pigeon. He looked like he'd been painted with turquoise paint, and his left wing was hanging and rather messed up.

"Hey poor little dude," I said as I scooted around him, trying not to startle him. I scampered inside the house, grabbed the camera, and came back out. He was still in the same area, so I took a bunch of photos. After I went back in the house (up 2 small flights of steps) I called my hubby to tell him we had a turquoise pigeon on our front sidewalk. As I was speaking to him, I glanced outside and !! The little dude had followed me up the steps and was now huddled on our porch looking rather miserable. I took some more pictures. I knew, however, that he wouldn't make it through the night outside, but couldn't bring him inside (not with a puppy...not to mention I really wasn't sure what I could possibly do for him myself), so I called animal control. They asked us to put a box over him, to keep him on our porch till someone could come collect him. Poor little Turq was rather stunned, so getting a box over him wasn't difficult, and about two hours later a fellow from animal control came and picked him up. I'm hoping he was taken care of, maybe even fed. But if all they did was put him to sleep, at least he didn't suffer a cat attack.

I really hope he just floundered into something painted and messed himself up....and wasn't the victim of some mean people with spray paint. Poor little dude.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Poor little guy/girl...:( Are you going to call Animal Control and find out what happened to him/her?

Of course, if you're like me, you won't call because no news is good news!